The steps of JTBD
An interesting set of steps by Stephen Wunker: Six Steps to Put Christensen’s Jobs-to-be-Done Theory into Practice. I’ve rewritten them slightly below.
- Understand the basic jobs to be done
- Understand who the true competitors are
- Understand the additional value that all competitors offer
- Understand what the choice criteria are for your product
- Understand switching blockers
- Calculate the value of switching success
Lots of thinking around Christensen’s JTBD framework in the past couple years…I think its success is the result of the proper framing of the needs people have and how they approach getting them done. I hope to write a lot more about JTBD in the future…it’s basically the underpinning of my new side project: The What to Wear Daily Report.